- Under £30,000 (more on finances later) Negotiated £26,000 and (all going to plan) it will be paid for with a marine mortgage from Collidge and Partners.
- 50-57ft (enough space, but a 'go-anywhere' length - some of the smallest locks can only accommodate a 57ft boat) At 48ft, Lucky Duck is slightly smaller than we wanted, but not significantly so, and the space is better used than some longer boats.
- Traditional (trad) stern, to maximise space and look authentic, but a semi-trad or cruiser would be acceptable if we liked everything else! Lovely trad stern!
- Engine room (for easy access to the engine, and for storage) Sort of – the engine can be accessed from inside, which makes fixing it in inclement weather somewhat simpler.
- Fixed double bed with loads of storage for clothes! Yes and yes! Top loading wardrobe and a chest of drawers. Plus lots of space for hanging coats.
- Bathroom with shower and pumpout/cassette toilet. One point where we made a compromise. Lucky Duck only has a porta-potti. We could replace it with a Thetford cassette, though.
- Kitchen with (ideally) a range but at least a gas oven and a 12 v fridge Lucky Duck has a lovely kitchen, hardly smaller than the one at my parents’ house! Although that’s not saying much! No range, but lovely stove (see later)
- Living room next to kitchen for optimised social cooking and preferably no fixed furniture, but space for a double futon, for guests. Some fixed furniture (Table and box/chair unit) but the futon’s not fixed, allowing some flexibility)
- Stove in living room (essential!) Mørso Squirrel, with back boiler for central heating. Toasty!
- Plenty of potential space for books and a study. The ingenious bed/study system allows study space under the bed when it is lifted up on gas struts.
- Inverter so we can have 240v 'lectrics while not hooked up to the land. Yup!
- Must be in a habitable condition. We don't mind a bit of work, but we have to be able to move straight in. Lucky Duck is more than habitable. I can’t wait to move in.
Settled at Dorchester
14 hours ago