Thursday 16 September 2010

I'm a little teapot

Today I went to Ely today for various reasons. Firstly, I had to get a seatpad from Reeds for the rowing marathon (50km from Lincoln to Boston) which I am doing on Sunday. Some of you may remember reading about this last year, when I rowed in the same event. This year, James is coxing it too, and we have two men in the boat as well as 6 women. Then I headed to the Chandlery to get an extra grate for the stove. I also happened to bump into Chris, from whom we had been planning to borrow a coxbox. Happily he was able to oblige, but had to rush off for an hour before he was able to meet me, giving me a bit of time to kill in Ely.

Not a bad prospect, I thought. It was a lovely day, so the first thing I did was get a half of Aspall's from the Cutter and sit outside in the sunshine reading today's Guardian. After I'd finished my drink, I wandered along the river front to the Antiques shop. There I spotted a beautiful enamel teapot, the colour of butter and sunshine, for £7. I couldn't resist. I had to have it for the boat! It will look perfect on the range when we get our proper working boat one day! I am now looking forward to going home and putting the kettle on after work.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no not again!! We fell for this last year and had to dodge 240 rowing boats, we had planned to go to Fiskerton Fen on saturday for the evening we might change our plans now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, doesn't Boston Rowing Club publish details? At least you have forewarning now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had no warning last year at all. It was great, honest.

    I suspect we will be changing our plans for this weekend now though. Maybe head the other way instead. Dont fancy the dodgem course again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome find that little teapot is! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From another enamel teapot aficionado... Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like we will be seeing you on Sunday. The OH is insistant we are going to Fiskerton, then we are going to watch the rowers from the warmth of the cockpit before heading back.

    Good luck by the way

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lovely teapot. These days they are made in Poland, so to get an old one is a real find.

    ReplyDelete