Wednesday 15 September 2010

Queen of Hearts

When a friend of ours (Charlotte) came over for dinner the other day, I made a pie. In fact I have made several pies recently - it was the pie shop at Atherstone which got me onto it! They seem like good autumn food, warm and comforting on a cooler evening, but still full of fresh flavours, and as much veg as I can put in the filling and have James still want to eat it!  I'm afraid I didn't make the pastry though. This was my first attempt at a double crust pie, with pastry on the bottom as well as the top. The filling was some nice organic pork, as well as leeks, chestnut mushrooms and spring onions, in a white sauce with lots of wholegrain mustard stirred in.

In my proper enamel pie dish, what else?

But, after making the pie, I still had a ball of pastry left over so Charlotte suggested that we make jam tarts! I thought that was an excellent idea, so we got out the muffin tray and squidged the pastry into rounds, and filled them with raspberry jam or greengage conserve. They were yummy. I shan't be throwing odd scraps of pastry away again.

Mmm. The greengae ones were my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment