Friday 8 July 2011

Boater's Balm

I don't own many beauty products and only wear makeup for special occasions, so this is unlikely to become a regular feature, but I wanted to mention Burt's Bees Miracle Salve. It's a solid balm made from olive oil, beeswax, pumpkin seed oil, wheatgerm and various other plant extracts. I bought it a month or so ago, using reward points I'd collected at Boots. I tend to save them up and treat myself to something I wouldn't normally be able to afford every so often: at £7.99 it's not cheap but there is a lot of it and you don't need much.


Living on a boat, I don't tend to buy things unless they have least two purposes - the more the better - so this stuff is great. It's a moisturiser, lip balm, and after-sun all in one. But it is the after-sun properties that have really impressed me. I spend a lot of time outside, exercising or boating and although I use sunscreen, my pale skin does sometimes end up getting burnt accidentally. Spending a lot of time on the water, even in cloudy weather, can result in burning because the light is reflected off the water as well. When we competed in the BCN 24 hour Marathon Challenge, there was hardly any direct sun, but at then end of 11 hours of boating, my face was quite pink! I used this balm that weekend, and passed it around to others who were feeling the effects of the sun. I've used it every time I've got at all burnt this summer and so far I've not peeled at all. So I'd definitely recommend it to any boater ladies (or indeed men) and anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors.

(Disclaimer: Burt's Bees have never heard of me, I just wanted to share how good I've found this stuff to be!)

twitter // facebook // email // follow // any questions?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Amy,

    We met at Braunston when my husband, Bill, and I were visiting with Sarah and Jim. I have found all the Burt's Bees products I've tried to be very good, especially for sensitive skin. The company is located in Durham, NC, USA, which is our neighboring city. There are sampler packs with small amounts of a variety of their products frequently available here and, perhaps, also in the UK; you might find those useful for trying some of the different ones.
    Best wishes,
    Michelle, nb Shilling

    ReplyDelete